Henna leaves powder stain red-orange. It is an amazing natural conditioner, makes hair healthy, voluminous and strong and builds a protective layer that hair strands to damage from heat and sunlight; it cures dandruff and itchy scalp too.
With a combination of These two plants following the One-Step Method you can achieve auburn to medium shade.
This is a One-step method. In this method, you prep henna first and soak according to method Before indigo on the second step and Wash it out.
The total amount of powder you Need:
- Root touch up: 25-50 grams (2-4 tbs)
- Shoulder length: 100-125 grams (6-9 tbl)
- Mid-back: 150-175 grams (10-12 tbs)
- Lower back till hip 200 to 225 grams (14-16 tbs)
You can choose one of your favorite liquid to make henna
- Water(pure and normal temperature)
- Green Tea Or Black Tea ( brewed it and then cool it down to normal temperature )
Note: for coloring, treatments do not use heavy liquids such as yogurt, Shea/cocoa butter, oil, eggs, and conditioners, etc…as they dilute the color, and won’t yield best color coverage.
Recommended Acidic Mix (liquid or powder)
Henna will dye your hair more effective when mixed with low pH mild acidic mix and color can bind to the hair more permanently and does not fade.
You can choose any one of your acidic mix in your henna mix for brown shade.
- Potassium Bi tartrate
- Lemon juice
- Appl cider vinegar
- You can use juice straight from tetra pack/bottle too.
- If you choose any acidic liquid to make henna paste i e ACV then you don’t need to add Organic Roots’ ® powdered acidic mix.
- If you are living in a hard water area then this is recommended to use clarifying shampoos or use Organic Roots detox wash prior to this method. Otherwise color could be muddy for funky.
- Remember this method darkens lighter shades or white hair. This method can never make dark hair towards lighter tones. For first-timers or extremely damaged hair there comes an adjustment period to settle this natural method on hair. Repeat applications of two to three times may be needed for required results.
- Do not apply the henna and indigo mixture for less than 3 hours and more 3-5 hours or don’t apply over nigh. Why? Because indigo dye molecules start getting weaker after 3-4 hours, whereas henna gets stronger the longer it is applied on the head. That’s why if in case the mixture of henna and indigo applied for more then the recommended time, the henna paste will overcome indigo dye molecule and results could be redder rather brown.
- Don’t pre-mix indigo powder into henna powder. Why because pure henna or pure mehndi has to soak for 8-12 hours before you apply on hair. Henna Paste get ready to apply with 8-12 hours depending on temperature, whereas indigo paste is ready to apply immediately after the paste is made. So these two powders can never premix in powder form if the powder is pure and chemical-free. This point also keeps in mind while buying herbal hair dyes claiming pure, and telling you that indigo (indigofera tinctoria ) is added in henna or in different herbs. these are actually chemical added product labeling fake as chemical-free. Such products can be herbal but these are not chemical-free they actually add chemicals in herbs. Remember one point that Pure Henna and Pure indigo can never premix in powder form.
The cart below is just for guidance. Individual may vary results according to their hair structure, their real hair color and hair health.
Let’s Start Coloring Method:
When you intend to color your hair, soak henna paste 8-12 hours before application.
- In henna powder, mix Organic Roots’ low pH acidic powder (or else you can add the juice of 5-6 lemons instead our low pH mix)
- Add water to make a paste . Make sure that water should be pure and normal temperature.
Note: Few people like to make a henna paste with tea liquid. If you are using tea or coffee liquid as a mix then cool it down before adding it to henna.
If you feel there still lumps in paste then don’t worry it will soften within next few hours.
- Keep this in some corner at normal temperature for the next 8 to 12 hours until dye release. (do not keep it in fridge or freezer)
- If the topmost layer is darker then rest of your henna paste, it’s mean your henna is dye released and ready to apply now. In summers henna paste gets ready within 6-10 hours whereas in winters henna paste gets ready within 12 to 24 hours depending on temperature.
- Now at this step when henna is ready you will make fresh indigo paste to mix with henna.
- Pour indigo powder in a bowl and add 1 tsp salt in it. Adding salt is optional but this is popular about adding salt in indigo paste that it helps in making color more fast and better. you can add 1 tsp salt/100gram indigo powder
- Water should be pure and luck warm. Make it a toothpaste consistency.
- Indigo paste should be used immediately after it is made.
- Mix into indigo paste already prepped henna paste.
- Mix ,mix and mix well.
- Section hair and apply on it.cover your head with plastic wrap or shower cap. Keep this paste on the head for 3-4 hours.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner. Your white hair will cover naturally into brown color.
Understanding henna and indigo Ratio
The ratio for henna, cassia, and indigo are easy to remember.
- The only henna gives an orange shade. only indigo gives blue shade, only cassia gives wheat golden shade.
- Equal parts of henna and indigo result in a medium brown. More henna in this ratio will add warmer and redder tone, whereas more indigo in this ratio will add cooler and brown tones.
- Equal parts of cassia and henna give bright tones of copper and orange. More cassia in this ration results in brighter strawberry blond.
- Together mixture of Cassia, henna, and indigo will give neutral shades of blond and golden brown.
- If Indigo is applied for 2 hours after the henna procedure then it gives black shade but gives brown if applied for 20 minutes.
- None of the mixtures can make darker hair towards lighter hair color.
- After washing hair if the result is lighter in shade then don’t worry at all. The color will oxidize and settle within two days. You can speed up the oxidization period by external heat like use blow drier for 10 minutes. It will make your hair color dark sooner.
- If the color is funky, brassy or green then you should check with your water supply. There might be hard metal or mineral in your water that is creating hurdle in achieving best shade. You are recommended to do clarify the treatment and our detox wash prior to treatment.
- If you have stubborn roots that giving you a hard time for color uptake then you should prep your hair before the treatment.
How to prep hair for stubborn roots?
Wash your hair with dishwasher soap or liquid. It will rough up your hair cuticle and will make your hair ready for color deposit.
Make sure to cover hair while the is on your hair. Don’t let the paste dry, it will help better binding with hair. Better if you could also wrap towel after plastic wrap too.
Try to give external warmth with half an hour sunlight or 3 minutes blow dryer after every half an hour while the paste on hair.
If you face Troubleshooting One-step method.
- One-step method sometimes does not show perfect results on the first attempt. It might happen If your true hair color was black before it turned white. Don’t worry at all. You can also achieve brown shade successfully by following other variation in one step method.
- You can apply only indigo for 20 to 30 minutes after henna 1st step by following the two-step method.
- Else You can also achieve brown shade with two-step method. First, apply henna according to the proper method. Wash it and then apply indigo and henna mixture according to the one-step method. and wash it.
For example, this lady applied henna first and then a mixture of henna and indigo on the 2nd step.
Please watch the following video for a better understanding of one-step method.